Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Don't read this if you're squeamish: Dogs, Toddlers and Dairy Queen

Funny how sometimes I blog a few times a week after about a month of silence. Usually, the silence denotes a place of blueness and there's simply nothing to say. Yes, I too, get tired of hearing myself complain because, in reality, I do know that I am blessed.

But after this weekend and my new resolution to make time for joy and fun, time for myself, today...well, today was a challenge. I lost a little mojo. Part of it is my Grandson, the Wapkaplet. He's at an age where he's into EVERYTHING and most of my day is spent literally chasing him while I'm trying to work from home. It was pretty easy to do my job when he was smaller. He slept, he cooed, he smiled. Most importantly, he STAYED where I put him.

Those sweet days are over. And that just means that I have to make some adjustments. It'll work out in time but for now, it's exhausting.

Earlier today, I was outside, trying to have a conversation with a distant dear friend. Mr. W loves it outside so I thought it might work out for a few minutes. Not so. Not so at all. As I'm about to hang up, I see our dog, Bo, hunched over at the back of the yard, doing her business. The stinky bidness. Now, Bo is a pit bull, a pretty sweet dog, however, her bidness is rather, well...rather large. Sometimes it comes out in interesting swirls and stands straight up, sort of like a soft-cone from Dairy Queen! Except it's brown. And smelly.

But to an 18 month old, it looks like chocolate ice cream!

Don't worry, no, he didn't. I scooped him up (pun fully intended) and took him inside as he screamed all the way to the house, reaching out for what he thought was a tasty treat, "MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE!"

Heartbroken, yes. But he'll thank me when he's older.

9 comments:

Linda said...

Hilarious! You really have to print this one out and save it for him to read when he's older!
:-D

Unknown said...

Ha! That's awesome. He couldn't go for the tiny dog's poo, could he? No...Mr. Wapkaplet has HIGH expectations...

Chris Beck said...

I found you through Diahn's blog - maybe you're sisters? Anyway, just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading a bunch of your posts. You write well and I like your sense of humor!! Keep it up!

Melinda Owens said...

Thanks, Linda and Diahn. And thanks to you Chris, for your encouragement! No, not sisters...sisters-in-law, but might as well be!

Papa Ray said...

Wait a minute! I have 3 daughters, their names are Melinda, Diahn, and Kristen, and that's the truth as I see it. And I don't want any argument, cause I will have to do the Chuck Norris thing if you argue with me!!

Melinda Owens said...

I just want it noted that in the list of Ray's daughters...I'm first. Just sayin.

:)

Unknown said...

That's because you're the oldest.

Melinda Owens said...

WTF.

Unknown said...

You started it.