Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Ode to a Friend

I have a friend.

She's been my friend for 28 years. Just to write that number makes me catch my breath, to realize that I, and my friend, have been around for that long, and longer. Let me recount....2008 minus 1980...yes, that's right. 28 years. Wow.

Not to sound cliche, but it certainly doesn't seem that long. We've been through many jilted boyfriends, an untimely death of someone very close to both of us, college, drunken binges, a few disagreements, children, husbands, and many, many, many pets.

We only see each other a couple of times a year, and talk about once a month but each time I hear her voice, it feels like home.

She's always in control while she's out of control, that is who she is. Always questioning and never settling for ordinary, still she loves the mundane. She's somewhat of a contradiction, my friend, which is what makes her so interesting.

Happy 28th anniversary...you know who you are.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy Crap. You're old.

Mwahahahahaha.

See how I'm not crying? I'm clever like that.

Love you, my friend.

Melinda Owens said...

Oh, so clever you are and completely unemotional, another reason I love you!