Thursday, November 27, 2008

Oh, Thanksgiving!

Sigh.

I think I'm finally getting my space. I'm not sure, it's been a while and I don't quite remember what it feels like...but I think this is it!

My hubby is gone this week to see his family, I've got some time off work...it's just me, my girls and Mr. Wapkaplet. No soccer games, no running around, just finally, sweet relaxation! I'd love to finish the novel but I know that won't happen. I am, however, going to try to put a big dent in the word count and keep writing as far as I can go before the end of the day Sunday. I have claimed my space and told the girls that I won't be their chauffeur for the next four days and cleared all of my work files from my desk. I don't want to see them. I plan on writing, sinking my brain into my new, big, thick, beautiful novel by Wally Lamb, and watching holiday movies from the comfort of my bed or couch. That's right, I have two choices, baby, TWO. Sorry, dear husband, to sound so excited that you're not here...but the truth is, I am a little excited.

I love my hubby, I really do, tremendously. But I think it's good for couples to have a little time away from each other. We're not your typical "joined at the hip" married couple, and I think that's because we were older when we got married. At any rate, this is nice.

And...it's Thanksgiving today! My favorite holiday!

Oh, Thanksgiving, how I love you. You, of all the holidays, expect so little from me. No costumes or candy to buy, no eggs to dye or presents to buy. All you want is a little comfort food, and some time. Time to be grateful and reflect on God's sweet blessings. Time to kick back with my family. Time to eat, eat, eat! You are the last,lazy day before the rush of your sister holiday, Christmas. You usher in the hope that this year will be the best holiday season of all. And, as I do every year, I vow to enjoy this next month. I vow to not overplan and run myself ragged. I vow to slow down--way, way, down--and relax. I vow to go ice-skating, christmas light gazing, sugar cookie baking, but most of all, to think of others. To spend time hugging and laughing.

I have so much to be thankful for...Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

And now, if you'll excuse me, I hear the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade calling...

No comments: